Postpartum Education and Support (PES) is a Raleigh-based nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization serving pregnant women and new mothers suffering from depression, anxiety, and other symptoms of Postpartum Mood Disorders, as well as offering resources for their families. PES also provides educational outreach and support services for the communities and healthcare providers that serve this population.
The nonprofit was founded in 2007 as on outgrowth of Moms Supporting Moms (MSM) is a peer-facilitated support group started in 1998 to provide assistance to mothers suffering from Postpartum Mood Disorders (PMD). It was founded by a mother after she struggled to find help when she was diagnosed with Pospartum Depression and Anxiety after the births of both of her children.
The organization has grown from a small group – with three volunteers and two monthly meetings – into a well-known community resource with a solid reputation for assisting mothers — and their families — who are dealing with PMD.
Postpartum Education and Support now holds Moms Supporting Moms under its umbrella of services and has successfully expanded its offerings to include other programs.
Some of the expanded services include: more support group meetings; presentations for community groups interested in helping new mothers; a postpartum preparation class offered in partnership with Babies R Us; and consultations with other groups across the state interested in starting support groups in their own communities.
Postpartum Education and Support is led by a dedicated and active Board of Directors and a number of volunteers — from Moms Supporting Moms meeting facilitators to telephone support line responders — who are committed to growing the organization in ways that will provide much-needed assistance to mothers and their families.
PES provides services for both the healthcare community and the general population. Our services include:
- The Moms Supporting Moms peer-led support group, with weekly meetings for mothers and quarterly meetings for partners. Medical advisers attend each meeting.
- Resource information for mothers and families via our website, our telephone warmline and directly from group facilitators at Moms Supporting Moms group meetings.
- A 1-hour class, “Postpartum Preparation for the Whole Family.” taught monthly at Triangle-area Babies R Us locations.
- Brochures and other materials about Postpartum Mood Disorders that are made available by request to any organization serving women and children.
- Presentations for community groups that serve mothers of infants and young children.